analog input 1 loosing signal

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
PFITR

analog input 1 loosing signal

Post by PFITR »

Hi all,

I had this post in another section, but I had no answer for a few days, so I'm posting here:

I connected a Phormula KS4 knock sensor (http://www.phormula.co.uk/KnockMonitor-KS-4.aspx) to analog input 1 in S300 (I had to mount the 0.1uF capacitor in C42). This knock sensor displays engine noise as a 0-100 value and outputs an analog 0-5v output to connect to logging systems. It was working, I was able to immediately pick the KS4 signal in smanager, showing a minimum 0.2v and going up as engine noise increased.

Problem is, after a few minutes, the signal from analog input 1 in s300 will drop to zero, even when the KS4 displays high noise levels. I mean, after 5-6 minutes, I get a fixed 0v analog input from s300, no matter what value is displayed in KS4.
Turning ignition off and on doesn't cure it, but if I try again the next day it will be fine for another few minutes, but will get stuck to zero after a while.

I'm still doing tests to figure this out, I was able to check the signal output from the sensor, and it remains stable, even when s300 reads zero. I had the feeling that the signal drop occurs after some hard accelerations (too high voltage into S300?), but I'm still to confirm this.

I hope any of you s300 experts could tell me what is going on, and what I can do to fix it. I really need to get knock into the S300 to proceed with my project.

Thanks.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Try a different input, if the problem still persists then it appears to be an issue with the device you are using. This is not something we have any experience with.
Jaker

Post by Jaker »

You could be experiencing an intermittant failure of a component in your Honda ECU that is precipitated by heat.
Wolli

Post by Wolli »

Have you tried setting the ks-4 to only 5 samples per second? You can set it from 5-100/sec. I'm still not done with working on my car, but when i'm done, i try it!
PFITR

Post by PFITR »

Thank you all,

answering your tips:

another input: I'll do that as a last resort, since I do not have the s300 prepared for analog input 2, I must put some resistors in there, first.

heat: I have a strong suspicion about this, could be the radiator fan turning on to cause this? I also suspect a high input into analog 1 could cause some capacitor inside s300 to freeze or something.

data rate: I had it at 8, tried 10 and 20 (after signal loss), not 5, but there was no change in S300. I kinda think ks-4 is not at fault, since I measured his output and it remains stable at around 0.20v even after I get 0.00v in s300 analog input

Yesterday I did another few runs trying to find the conditions to loose the signal, but it was fine all the time. Then some clutch pump broke down and until I get it fixed, there will be no more hard pulls, but I think next week I could carry on trying to figure this out