vtec problems!!! helpp asap

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
ROMEO856

vtec problems!!! helpp asap

Post by ROMEO856 »

ok so were do i start...i have 95 civic which is used for track only...cars wireing harness was completely redone to eliminate any plugs that were not going to be used.

so before anything let me start by saying im running a stock gsr with a garrett t67 with top mount set up and a few other bolt ons...

problems started when i turned on the car everything was looking and sounding good ...took it to the dyno and car had no vtec!

so my tuner( randy from rstech) tell me i might have wireing problems ( remember harness was stripped down) so i say ok and come home to start searching for the problem...

i reconnected vtec straight to the hondata and took it to the track to do some dataloggin to test it out...car ran a 12.7 at 103<<<not good at all..it feel like it has no power after 5k rpm and starts falling on its face

i then check out my logg and see the my vtp is always onand my vts gets on were vtec is set up at(5100) still i dont feel vtec engaging but car still crosses to high cam in the log?!

i took other logs from my friends car from his hondata to compare and his
vtp and vts[/u]are off and turn on at the same time where vtec is set up at(5200)

have any 1 had this problem before?

i hooked my hondata to my boys ls (nonvtec) and the vtp is on and off all thru the graph ...why is it reading the "vtp" of a none vtec engine?

could it be problems in the ecu? harness?
Attachments
RODNEY.s3d
the graph under is taken from the 12.7 pass from my car
(188.59 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
DILSON 1ST RUN 13.3.s3d
first link is for the graph of the LS (nonvtec) log that still shows me vtp readings
(156.09 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

If u have VTS working as u expect on your logs,then u can disregard anything to do with VTP. U probably dont even have a VTP.

Make sure your actually getting output at the motor at the vtec solenoid itself as well as making sure the the solenoid/valve are working.

Hard to speculate on an LS when dont even know what car its in or how its wired.
ROMEO856

Post by ROMEO856 »

fly_n wrote:If u have VTS working as u expect on your logs,then u can disregard anything to do with VTP. U probably dont even have a VTP.

Make sure your actually getting output at the motor at the vtec solenoid itself as well as making sure the the solenoid/valve are working.

Hard to speculate on an LS when dont even know what car its in or how its wired.

yea the vts works fine but my vtp is always on....comparing it to other logs from other cars vtp and vts both are off and turn on at the same time ....and im not feeling vtec at all ...all im feeling is the car being lazy after 5500 rpm like a car with no vtec feels.
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

Ok,i'll try again...

If u are seeing VTS output on your logs,then,

any VTP whether it exists or not on your motor is having NO effect on your VTS output whatsoever.

If the VTP was causing u problems then u would not see any VTS output when the problem occured.

Thats what the VTP is designed for,it is to stop VTS output from the ECU in the event of insufficient oil pressure in the VTEC hydraulic circuit,which would starve the rest of your engine of oil pressure if the spool valve were allowed to open under low pressure conditions.

Honda even realised the VTP was superfluous & overengineered,due to all the other safety backups in use i suppose & removed the VTP on at least some motors i know of,most notably the B18CR. Go pull a log from a late model typeR motor that still has the stock spool valve setup installed & see if u get VTP signals then.....u wont.... because there is no VTP....

The VTP is 'normally closed' under low oil pressure conditions(the opposite of what most people realise),so what u have is either no VTP installed or an open circuit condiiton on the VTP circuit,which makes it appear as 'always on',which doesnt matter in any case,because your seeing VTS output....

Hook up like a small 5W globe between ground & your wire going into the VTEC solenoid & run the wires back thru your drivers window & go for a drive,if it lights up at VTEC rpm then u have power to your solenoid(so problem lies elsewhere,possibly even with the solenoid or valve itself),if not find where the break in the wire is.
If u dont have a 5W globe,u will find one on each corner of your car in the indicators...

If u want to check your VTEC solenoid then just touch a wire from your battery positive momentarily on the wire leading into the solenoid,if it clicks,then it is good,maybe pull the assembly off & check the valve & filter.

U could test your VTEC operation very momentarily sitting in the garage if u zero all the checks,but i aint gonna advise such a method...should take u 2 mins to hook up a globe & take a roll around the block...
ROMEO856

Post by ROMEO856 »

guys i changed my harness....problem fixed!