Advice anyone?

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
Cha27se

Advice anyone?

Post by Cha27se »

The tune feels pretty good but there seems to be some tweaking that needs to be done. Here is the tune and a datalog of some daily driving then two back to back pulls on a flat road.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/221812 ... s_Tune.kdl
Attachments
bryceomod.kal
(48.64 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
cranny

Post by cranny »

need a dyno to know for sure , but although you show no knocks , the car is most likely running too much timing. too much timing , even if it doesnt knock , robs you power big time.

the old run as much as you can without knocking , is simply not correct or how it works.
keto06

Post by keto06 »

That map was actually dyno tuned by one of the best tuners here in texas, but cranny is right, without a dyno there is no way to know if your car likes as much timing as Bryce's car did.

Though a big part of the difference is probably from the elevation you are at, seeing as you are only pulling ~920-950mbar at WOT.

Try this one and do another run just like the last one, and dont change the VTEC point on it. Putting it at 5500 when its not tuned for it can seriously damage your car. Luckily for your this car was tuned at all cam angles.

Keep it open loop. Only real changes was fuel and scaling back some timing.
Attachments
bryceomod2.kal
(50.45 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
gigaCTR

Post by gigaCTR »

cranny wrote:need a dyno to know for sure , but although you show no knocks , the car is most likely running too much timing. too much timing , even if it doesnt knock , robs you power big time.

the old run as much as you can without knocking , is simply not correct or how it works.
could you please explain that?
thank you!
Cha27se

Post by Cha27se »

Ok i never messed with the vtec point on that last tune you sent me, i dont know enough about the tuning part so i just leave everything alone. as for the newest map, lean protection pretty much stopped me from being able to get past about 4500. the first time it kicked in i just pumped the gas and kept going. the second time i just stopped after it engaged. thanks keto06

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/222087 ... eomod2.kdl
Attachments
bryceomod2.kal
(50.45 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
gigaCTR

Post by gigaCTR »

gigaCTR wrote:
cranny wrote:need a dyno to know for sure , but although you show no knocks , the car is most likely running too much timing. too much timing , even if it doesnt knock , robs you power big time.

could you please explain that?
thank you!
cranny could you please explain that, it sounds interestesting to learn about!
thank you
keto06

Post by keto06 »

I think this is what he was saying....
Running a lot of ignition timing is usually thought to increase power. However, a lot of times, it doesn't.

Once you have reached maximum power from ignition timing, running more timing usually just creates excess heat, which can actually cause losses of power and even engine damage.

For that reason he recommended lowering the timing to a more safe level until he could get the car on a dyno to see how much ignition it seemed to like
Please feel free to correct me...
gigaCTR

Post by gigaCTR »

thank you keto

so there is a possibility to damage the engine with too agressive timing even when there is ZERO knocks?