Stock ECU, Reflashed ECU Interchangeability

Questions / support for the K-Series ECU re-flash
nomoevadin

Stock ECU, Reflashed ECU Interchangeability

Post by nomoevadin »

Hello,

First post on Hondata site. I purchased a 2nd ECU for my '05 RSX S that I will be sending for your race reflash soon. I am keeping the vehicle's original ECU - with the intention of swapping back and forth "as needed". I was recently told that the 2nd ECU must first be "mated" to my vehicle by an Acura dealer before sending to Hondata for the reflash. I was also told that if I wished to swap out the reflashed ECU for my original, my original would then have to be "mated" to my vehicle by the dealer in order to work properly.

My question is this, please: Is the "mating" of the ECU all about the immobilizer device? Or is there more to the mating process that goes beyond the immobilizer device? If the mating process is strictly in order to make the immobilizer functional, is it possible for one to eliminate the immobilizer altogether - and then swap stock for reflashed ecu - and vice versa - at will?

Thanks very much!
nomo
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Stock ECU, Reflashed ECU Interchangeability

Post by Spunkster »

No, this is not possible, as the immobilizer is there to prevent theft. If it were easy to bypass it would be useless.
nomoevadin

Post by nomoevadin »

Thank you Spunkster for your reply!

Regarding my question about "mating" of ECU to vehicle, is it only to match the ECU to immobilizer? Or is the mating process more than just the immobilizer, please? In other words, if the vehicle was not equipped with an immobilizer, then could one swap stock ECU for reflashed - and vice versa - at will?

Thank you again,
nomo
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The ECU , Key and immobilizer are matched together and can only be matched with one ECU at a time. You cannot just swap in a different ECU or go back to an old ECU once it has been matched to the current setup.
nomoevadin

Post by nomoevadin »

Thank You Spunkster, Understood.

nomo
nomoevadin

Post by nomoevadin »

Hello Again,

Question please: May one purchase an "already" Hondata race reflashed ECU for an '05 RSX S from a private party and proceed to then have an Acura dealer program/mate the reflashed ECU to his own '05 RSX S vehicle - or will the programming/mating of the ECU by the Acura dealer adversely affect the already race reflashed ECU?

Thank you,
nomo
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It is possible that they may overwrite the reflash in the process if they are not careful or do now know what they are doing.
nomoevadin

Post by nomoevadin »

Hello,

I am prepared to ship the ecu, immobilizer and key to my '05 RSX S for Hondata Race Header Reflash tune. The car has already been equipped with AEM dual chamber intake. I just purchased a 1320 performance products tri y long tube header. Quality appears to be adequate. I will be reinstalling ecu and race header personally. Am I to send the items directly to Hondata? Please advise.

Thanks,
Nomo
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I'm sorry, but we no longer offer the race header reflash. Your only option at this point will be to purchase the K-Pro for the 05-06 RSX.
nomoevadin

Post by nomoevadin »

Hello,

I have purchased a previously Hondata RH Reflashed ecu from a private party. I plan to drive my vehicle to the nearest Acura dealer where I will swap in the Hondata ecu and have the dealer "mate" to my vehicle immobilizer, etc.

In a previous post I inquired as to whether the Acura dealer's process used to mate the new ecu to my vehicle adversely affect it. I was given the answer, "It is possible they may overwrite the reflash if they are not careful or do not know what they are doing".

Is there a way to prevent the dealer overwriting and adversely affecting the Hondata ecu by disconnecting a wire, etc, please?

Thank you,
nomo
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

No, as they will not be able to program the immobilizer if you do that.