Confirmation of what the CAM angle real means

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
charosenz

Confirmation of what the CAM angle real means

Post by charosenz »

I just want to confirm what the CAM angle (as listed in the software) really means. Especially as it relates to VTC where the phasing can be changed.

When looking at a Cam angle table I typically see numbers between 10-20-30-40.

Are these numbers?:

1) degrees of crack rotation as related to the point at which the intake cam opens" I.E. A cam table that shows "10" is a cam that opens 10 degrees BTDC.

0r

2) If looking at the table and it shows say 20. That this means that the software is advancing the cam 20 degrees of advance over stock setting?

or? Something else?

Same for the EXCam. Is it related to the moment the excam opens? Or Closes? Or?

Thanks.

Charlie
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Confirmation of what the CAM angle real means

Post by Hondata »

Assuming you are referring the the KPro, cam is crank degrees from a base (fully retarded) position. Positive numbers are advanced. The numbers are not related to stock values.
Hondata
charosenz

Post by charosenz »

Thank you.

It is the "Base" that is not clear, to me; I would appreciate a follow up clarification. For discussion sake, it would be great to give an example.

If, say an intake cam begins (at .050" lift) to open the valve at "X" degrees what would the (KPro) Hondata "Cam angle" be? Please relate it to "X" if you would please.

Thank you.

Charlie
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You're asking for the cam opening and closing angles. We do not have that information.
Hondata
charosenz

Post by charosenz »

I am interested in what the Cam Angle in the Hondata program represents on any given cam and ideally, as it relates to crankshaft in degrees.

In other words if the Cam Angle setting in the program is "30", is that the crank angle in degrees of the intake cam as it opens the intake valve? and if not, then what does it represent as related to the crankshaft in degrees?

Thank you.

Charlie
charosenz

Post by charosenz »

OK.....after just posting that last questions I think the light when on in my brain. Thank you for being patient. Let me check if my thought is correct.

When you say the Cam Angle is related to "Base". You mean the Cam Angle is the additional degrees of advance (if positive number) that the software adds over the C/L of the cam as it exists when piston number one is at TDC. (where a phased cam is locked in the fully retarded position). Right?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

More or less.

If the intake cam is at 30, all it means is that it is 30 crank degrees advanced over the base (locked) position.
Hondata